Perry County, IL History
- January 29, 1827 (Laws, 1827, p. 110)
Origin of County Name
- Named for Oliver Hazard Perry, a Commodore of the United States Navy, who won distinction as Commander of the fleet in the battle of Lake Erie, in 1813.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1816–1827 – Jackson
- 1795–1827 – Randolph
- 1790–1803 – St. Clair
- 1827–present – Pinckneyville (Not officially approved until June, 1828.)
History of county governing board
- 1827–1849 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1873 – County Court
- 1873–present – Board of County Commissioners
- Perry County has never adopted township form of government. The county has been divided into precincts.